Forum »
Square Enix announces Final Fantasy 5 and 6 for gba!

mrbungle

Starman Jr.
oh man if they ever messed with ff6 in ANY way i for one would scream bloody murder!! about the touch screen and it not being used: thats the real trick isnt it? it doesn't need to change the basic gameplay formula, it just needs to be implemented in ways you wouldnt expect. it needs to be done in such a way that the majority of players WOULD prefer using the stylus, and I'm sure it could be used to make those menu interactions much easier, making the experience more fun overall. oh and I had to do alot of surfing but apparently ff3 wonderswan went through numorous cancellations before being finally put to death permantly shortly before the ds announcement.
"when I think about my DS, I touch myself"

ioev

Starman DX
Actually, if they made the bottom screen for movement and made it like Trace Memory, then I would definitely be a fan of using the stylus. That game plays effortlessly for running around.

mrbungle

Starman Jr.
even something as simple as touching an npc and having your character run over and talk to them would be cool. anything that would eliminate scrolling down long inventories would be welcome as well. how about double tapping a character to have them move from the front or back row? now that ive started thinking about this stuff its easy to come up with lots ideas. i cant wait to get started with those 4 little onion kids!!! this is gonna be great!
oh and im not sure about 5 and 6, but i did read that 4 would feature new playable characters and environments. sounds interesting! and while i'm on the subject I cant wait to hear what they do with the soundtrack for ff3 on the ds. the compositions in that game are some of the finest in the entire series, even obscured by the horrible capibilites of the famicom. hopefully they wont over do it with the over orchestratred battle music of the 1 and 2 remakes. (I'm refering to the playstation version) and finally, what would you guys say to a remake\port of final fantasy tactics on the ds(and I take back my comments about square and trigger as i actually never played the orginal tactics) {wince}

ioev

Starman DX
Well, we did see what happened with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance... wich would have been a tremendously better game had 2 things been changed:

- NO LAWS
- Gain AP during fights, not at the end

A few other things like clans could have went as well. And remove all the random tasks and have a more clear-cut storyline... but it's too late for that now.

I'm not sure if a port of Final Fantasy Tactics would be a really good idea though... perhaps another try at a sequel?

mrbungle

Starman Jr.
yeah that thought was floating around in my mind half articulated as well, a direct port would be much less exciting than a true sequel. perhaps some wireless mulitplayer features would be fun as well? has anybody here gotten use from the ds's wireless capabilities?

milocat51

Starman Super
Now now, Tactics Advance may not have stood next to the original Tactics, but on it's own merits it turned out to be a rather good game. Too easy to rape the system though, the balance was way skewed, even more than the PSX version.

We've gotten plenty of use out of our DS wireless since launch. Not as much as we could, but there are five of us in the immediate area with a DS.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
Hey Steve there's some new Final Fantasy III DS shots, and you're right, the 3D style looks faaaantastic. Much better than I would have expected. I'm guessing the town areas are pre-rendred, but then I'm not even sure...
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

ioev

Starman DX
Someone needs to learn how to logout and log back in before they post :P The graphics are all going to be 3d, and I agree, they suit the game perfectly. I especially like the stylish character models.

sevex

Starman DX
I was talking to the other Steve!
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

mrbungle

Starman Jr.
gorgeous! this is exactly how I imagined the series would evolve, back before the playstation days. they should have done it this way in the first place! i'm glad to see they put some thought into a great new design and I'm eager to see how the touch screen is integrated. I'm going to buy a DS today! woot! thanks steve and keep posting new screens when you find em!