Forum »
The DS has won the portable war, it's over...

Gatsu

Starman Super
Not quite - any software that requires features of the 2.0 firmware will not run on 1.5 firmware. Now, that doesn't stop someone from coming up with a hack to run games that require 2.0 on 2.0 in much the same way as they came up with a downgrader, but currently it's not possible.
-_o

milocat51

Starman Super
Coded Arms, the first game to include an update, has been ripped and runs off the stick. Long before they released the downgrader or even the fastloader they had hacks that bypassed the version verification. There's no features in the PSP updates that affect the functionality of the games, they simply check for them as an anti-piracy measure.

So far as I know, no games have yet been released that auto-update to 2.0, and they won't anyway as Sony just released 2.1 for the sole exclusive purpose of combatting the downgrader. No added features or benefits, just the removal of your capacity to play homebrew.

Unless you're foolish enough to pay money for a PSP game or go to their site and initiate an update, you've nothing to fear. Besides, with every step Sony takes, the cracking community takes another. Notice after all these years we can still get PC applications with relative ease? Software protection doesn't help you a lick, someone will break it.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Gatsu

Starman Super
Ah, but that game "required" firmware 1.51, which was simply a bug fix release - games don't check for firmware version, they only try to call bios functions - if the bios function has changed between 1.5 and 2.0 the game is more than likely going to crash. There are hacks out there that fool the updater into thinking you are already running the version it expects for a game, but once the game launches, it's anyone's guess what happens.
-_o

milocat51

Starman Super
Seems to me if they can trick the game into thinking a v1.50 PSP is a 1.51, they obviously have knowledge as to what the games check for. Something they can probably reproduce in their program without the detrimental effects of the firmware upgrade. Hm. I'm not much of a programmer, but it wouldn't seem terribly difficult to mimic the conditions the game needs. After all, the hardware is unaffected, obviously. It can't create some hardware situation the game needs, so it's purely code.

That's assuming, of course, that there is some sort of switch in design, outside of security, that necessitates the firmware upgrade. Which I doubt, since almost all they've patched since the first, outside of some sparse multimedia options, is the PSP's security. That, and new games continue to be ripped to ISO, all of which since Coded Arms have needed a minimum v1.52 bios. The newest are probably 2.0, if not 2.1. Unless the images are broken, and I don't have a stick large enough to check, they've already accomplished what we're arguing the possibility of.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

milocat51

Starman Super
Ehehehehe...

Yousefer

Starman Jr.
Oh that's nasty.

and kinda creepy :|

milocat51

Starman Super
And viciously true.

milocat51

Starman Super
A contender to fill the space PSP promised and then failed to? If I had the cash, I'd buy one.