WoW "spyware"?

Barrett

Starman Super
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4385050.stm

Interesting article
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

ioev

Starman DX
I think blizzard will be needing to make an official statement on this pretty soon.

sevex

Starman DX
THEY HAVE NO CASE WHATSOEVER! If users were smart enough to read the user agreement they may notice the only part that was printed in uppercase was:

"You hereby acknowledge that:

A. WHEN RUNNING, THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT CLIENT MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH WORLD OF WARCRAFT. AN "UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM" AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY "ADDON" OR "MOD," THAT IN BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT'S SOLE DETERMINATION: (i) ENABLES OR FACILITATES CHEATING OF ANY TYPE; (ii) ALLOWS USERS TO MODIFY OR HACK THE WORLD OF WARCRAFT INTERFACE, ENVIRONMENT, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IN ANY WAY NOT EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED BY BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT; OR (iii) INTERCEPTS, "MINES," OR OTHERWISE COLLECTS INFORMATION FROM OR THROUGH WORLD OF WARCRAFT. IN THE EVENT THAT WORLD OF WARCRAFT DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, BLIZZARD MAY (a) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR ACCOUNT NAME, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR (b) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER SECTION 6 OF THIS AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER."
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
Jesus christ, another topic on this?!

As Steve pointed out, every single player who logs into WoW digitally signs a contract agreeing to have their computer monitored, as is the same with the majority of online games nowadays. Duh.

Besides, what exactly are you worried about Blizzard "stealing". Your credit card number? They already have that.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Atomsk

Starman Super
Oooo! Oooo! I wanna jump on the redundancy train!

They're stupid, since they agree'd to it. If Blizzard put a line where it said, "We will be using your creditcards as we please for as much as we please and you hereby acknowledge that by accepting this contract." within there, they could. It's the people's faults for not reading carefully.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

Barrett

Starman Super
I apologize that I've posted something that has already been posted - my apologies for not keeping up. I just saw it on BBC, and thought it was interesting.

I don't see how it's a problem, really. As long as you are not doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to worry about, right?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

milocat51

Starman Super
Oh I'm not annoyed by the redundancy, I'm just upset by the ignorance in both the gaming community and the media. Just another story to run with for a while.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Gatsu

Starman Super
There are certain things in those EULAs that really need to be pulled out and placed very prominently so that people can find out about them without reading a full EULA. Some of these things can take several hours to read, and in the case of WoW, there's a new one EVERY time they update - and they don't have a diff between the old and new, so you have to re-read the whole thing. Hell, even a CONTENTS page would be useful and should be required. Better still, a short document in laymans terms that explains the basics and has links to the full text in the EULA should be required by law (such as, we monitor your computer for cheat programs [link] because you aren't allowed to cheat [link]). Then nobody can say "it was too much to read" because they should be able to read a single screen of text.
-_o

milocat51

Starman Super
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. As goes for contracts and licenses, as well. Sure, I skip the EULA like everyone else, but I'm not going to piss and moan when I get called on it. Common sense would tell you cheating isn't right. It's not like they have some sort of bizarre random clause in there. "Don't cheat". In capital letters, no less.

A layman section would just open them up to some easily exploited legal loopholes. That's why legal terms exist, so there's no room for interpretation or debate.

Gatsu

Starman Super
I *DEFINITELY* don't wish to imply that I support cheaters, I just would like to see more effort put into making it easier for people to read these things. Companies wouldn't run into issues like this if information was displayed prominently.
-_o